Lawyers provided in civil cases?

My sister's ex husband takes her to court all the time for custody of their kids.  She still has to pay for his attorney fees from the last time they went.  She can't pay because she does not have any income right now.  Is there a way for her to get a lawyer provided to her?

Asked almost 8 years ago in Tennessee
Categories: Family

Answer Now

Lesly C Longa

Answer by Lesly C Longa

VerifiedFlorida lawyer

Lawyers are not provided for civil litigation matters like they are for criminal defense (public defenders).  She should contact a local legal aid clinic or association helping people "pro bono."  She might also want to call or sit down with a family law attorney who offers "free consultations" and find out if your state's laws allow her to ask for legal fees from her ex, especially if he has more money and has hired an attorney.  Doesn't seem right that she has to pay his fees if she has no money, so she definitely needs to speak to legal counsel.  I cannot provide you any advice regarding the laws of Tennessee, but I hope this general information is helpful.  Best regards to you and your sister.

Posted almost 8 years ago

Lesly C. Longa Esq. Longa Law Firm P.A. Fighting the Good Fight for Floridians 1-800-673-7905

Please note that this is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice to you. Legal advice pertaining to your particular situation can only be provided by a lawyer who has met with you to obtain all pertinent background information necessary to give you a formal legal opinion. For formal legal advice, hire a lawyer (many give a free first consultation). Contact Lesly C Longa, or search the Lawyer Directory.

For Lawyers:
Join the Directory
for Free!

Learn More
Civil Litigation Sharmil McKee Pennsylvania Lawyer Sharmil McKee Verified Lawyer I am a business lawyer in Philadelphia. I help small and... Details

Connect with us:

Family Matters with Justice Harvey Brownstone - Watch Online TV ShowWatch Online TV Show