Dating a minor

My boryfriend and I have been dating for almost a year now. I am 17 and he is 16. I will turn 18 on October 1st and he will turn 17 on November 21st. Could I get in trouble for something like statutory rape because I will be 18 and he will still be a minor?

Asked over 8 years ago in Castlewood, Virginia
Categories: General Legal Questions

Answer Now

Mel Williams

Answer by Mel Williams

VerifiedVirginia lawyer

You risk being charged with Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor if you engage in sexual activity with your boyfriend after you turn 18, and while he is still under 18.  (To risk being charged with something more serious your boyfriend would either have to be under age 14 or more than 3 years younger than you.)  Contributing is a Class 1 misdemeanor, punishable by up to 12 months in jail and.or a fine of up to $2,500.

Posted over 8 years ago

Melvin E. Williams GRIMES & WILLIAMS, P.C. Franklin Commons 320 Elm Avenue, S.W. Roanoke, Virginia 24016 540-982-3711 540-345-6572 facsimile

Please note that this is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice to you. Legal advice pertaining to your particular situation can only be provided by a lawyer who has met with you to obtain all pertinent background information necessary to give you a formal legal opinion. For formal legal advice, hire a lawyer (many give a free first consultation). Contact Mel Williams, or search the Lawyer Directory.

For Lawyers:
Join the Directory
for Free!

Learn More
Civil Litigation Sharmil McKee Pennsylvania Lawyer Sharmil McKee Verified Lawyer I am a business lawyer in Philadelphia. I help small and... Details

Connect with us:

Family Matters with Justice Harvey Brownstone - Watch Online TV ShowWatch Online TV Show