Can my roommate and i recant a series of statements said to police?

Can my roommate and I recant a series of statements said to Police? My roommate and I had purchased something from a "seller" on the premises of a legitimate piece of furniture. It was not his to sell; it was stolen and the person was in the process of burgling another apartment directly across the hallway. After speaking with the new/actual resident of the property, and having him mention that his place was broken into, the next day I had called the police to facilitate the process of returning / giving back the furniture to its rightful owner. Both me and my roommate were less than sober (not drunk) but the police decided they didn't believe me, and not only charged me with a felony of having "stolen" the property but also having broken into (??) the place it was stolen from. This is wrong. I had the furniture at the doorway, and other items which this person left behind in the hallway, in my unit. My roommate had signed a Consent to Search, in which the other items (but not all of them, this person had also made away with some high end clothing, misc. goods, a camcorder, etc) were missing. Not knowing what my roommate had said, and not having a copy of the police report itself, can he and i -recant- any and all statements said to local law enforcement regarding this matter? To wit, are there any consequences (or) can the matter that the original statements have been recanted be presented? Thank you very much.

Asked over 4 years ago in Madison, Wisconsin
Categories: Criminal Law  Privacy Law  General Legal Questions  Legal Aid

Answer Now

Tom McAvity

Answer by Tom McAvity

Not VerifiedWashington lawyer

ADDRESS: 1201 Pacific Ave #600, Tacoma, WA 98402

Phone NO: 253-948-4622

Tom McAvity, is the founder of Northwest Debt Relief Law Firm, located in Tacoma, WA.  Filing for bankruptcy can be challenging to file alone. Here at our law firm we can assist you from start to finish. Our law firm can help file for Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 cases. Tom's belief is to treats every client with fairness and respect. If you are in the WA area and need to file for bankruptcy, stop by any of our office to you to receive a free case evaluation.

Posted over 2 years ago

Please note that this is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice to you. Legal advice pertaining to your particular situation can only be provided by a lawyer who has met with you to obtain all pertinent background information necessary to give you a formal legal opinion. For formal legal advice, hire a lawyer (many give a free first consultation). Contact Tom McAvity, or search the Lawyer Directory.

For Lawyers:
Join the Directory
for Free!

Learn More
Labour & Employment Mel Williams Virginia Lawyer Mel Williams Verified Lawyer Areas of practice: 1. Employment discrimination,... Details

Connect with us:

Family Matters with Justice Harvey Brownstone - Watch Online TV ShowWatch Online TV Show