I have received a subpoena as a witness in a criminal case

I have received a subpoena as a witness in a criminal case and my testimony will not help this person and i will be going to court for no reason. How can I get the message to his lawyer that my testimony is going to hurt him instead of helping. Can I ask for a deposition? I also have my on lawyer and I have not talked to him about this but when I do in a few days I want to be ready so i can get out of this instead of wasting my time in court.

Asked over 5 years ago in Tennessee
Categories: Criminal Law

Answer Now

V. Iyer

Answer by V. Iyer

Not VerifiedColorado lawyer

You should contact a Tennessee criminal defense lawyer. You should talk to your lawyer and explain what your likely testimony will be and how you think it will hurt the defendant. Your lawyer then can talk to the defendant's lawyer. However, it is upto the defendant's lawyer to decide if he or she still wants your testimony. It is not your call to not show up as the Court can compel you to appear. All the best.

Posted over 5 years ago

Please note that this is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice to you. Legal advice pertaining to your particular situation can only be provided by a lawyer who has met with you to obtain all pertinent background information necessary to give you a formal legal opinion. For formal legal advice, hire a lawyer (many give a free first consultation). Contact V. Iyer, or search the Lawyer Directory.


Thank you for the answer, i think that is a good answer because I will ask my lawyer to talk to his lawyer.

Posted over 5 years ago

For Lawyers:
Join the Directory
for Free!

Learn More
Personal Injury Sam L. Levine Georgia Lawyer Sam L. Levine Verified Lawyer I’m Sam Levine, and I live to help people. It shows in... Details

Connect with us:

Family Matters with Justice Harvey Brownstone - Watch Online TV ShowWatch Online TV Show