How to get someone to leave who doesnt pay rent

Hello,I am in Phoenix AZ and I have a problem. I have someone who used to be a friend staying in my condo. She had no where to go and at the time was very nice to me and a good person. She was just looking to get back on her feet and she would move out once she could. Fast forward 4 months she is still staying on my couch, she finally has a job (first paycheck was last friday), I have never asked her to pay rent or utilities. She has gotten very belligerent and started to yell at me for trivial reasons. I believe she is a little bipolar and has been without medication for several months. I have had enough and asked her to leave. She says she wont leave because she has no where to go. She has a DUI which is why she came to be for help in the first place. I have never hurt her, never yelled at her, never instigated any of her bad behaviors. I just want her gone. How can I get her to leave as quickly as possible? I am getting tired of her constant verbal abuse. I am worried she will start to damage my property soon.

Asked almost 7 years ago in Phoenix, Arizona
Categories: Real Estate  General Legal Questions  Landlord-Tenant

Answer Now

Antonio Gimbernat

Answer by Antonio Gimbernat

Not VerifiedHawaii lawyer

I will suggest you have a Court Appointed "Process Server", Serve her with a Formal Eviction Notice. This Costs perhaps $50 & provides Police with Documentation if she is not gone after the Grace Period (which is usually 45 Days). I would recommend you help her find a Storage Locker to Rent & help her get a P.O. Box too. After all, you are friends. You might have a few other options which I am not aware. Good Luck.

Posted almost 7 years ago

Please note that this is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice to you. Legal advice pertaining to your particular situation can only be provided by a lawyer who has met with you to obtain all pertinent background information necessary to give you a formal legal opinion. For formal legal advice, hire a lawyer (many give a free first consultation). Contact Antonio Gimbernat, or search the Lawyer Directory.

For Lawyers:
Join the Directory
for Free!

Learn More
DUI Jon Welborn North Carolina Lawyer Jon Welborn Verified Lawyer My practice is exclusively dedicated to family law and... Details

Connect with us:

Family Matters with Justice Harvey Brownstone - Watch Online TV ShowWatch Online TV Show