Property question during divorce

have a friend going through a divorce . they have not gone to court yet just working with lawyers and can not seem to agree. she wants him to refinance the house or sell it. he is holding out until they see the judge. can her lawyer make him do anything before they see the judge for settlement?

Asked over 7 years ago in Alabama
Categories: Family

Answer Now

Deborah A Gregory

Answer by Deborah A Gregory

VerifiedAlabama lawyer

Usually there is no way to force a party to agree to something during settlement negotiations.  The Judge would be able to make that decision.  However, to have a property division made by a jusge is typically more expensive and can take more time than resolving issues during settlement negotiations.  I remind my clients that they can work their issues out together and keep the money for themselves, or they can pay me to handle it!

Posted over 7 years ago

Please note that this is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice to you. Legal advice pertaining to your particular situation can only be provided by a lawyer who has met with you to obtain all pertinent background information necessary to give you a formal legal opinion. For formal legal advice, hire a lawyer (many give a free first consultation). Contact Deborah A Gregory, or search the Lawyer Directory.

For Lawyers:
Join the Directory
for Free!

Learn More
Labour & Employment Mel Williams Virginia Lawyer Mel Williams Verified Lawyer Areas of practice: 1. Employment discrimination,... Details

Connect with us:

Family Matters with Justice Harvey Brownstone - Watch Online TV ShowWatch Online TV Show