Ex roomate

I was living with the person I was in a relationship with. We broke up, they decided to move out and sign their name of the lease. This was done in early April we are now at the end of may and I keep getting calls and texts demanding for their things. I thought they had 30 days after they moved out to come get their things. As far as I am concerned we shared everything, when they left I thought they had everything they considered theirs. What should I do to resolve this?

Asked over 8 years ago in Virginia
Categories: General Legal Questions

Answer Now

Mel Williams

Answer by Mel Williams

VerifiedVirginia lawyer

As I understand your situation, the person with whom you were living moved out of the residence you shared together and removed his/her name from the lease.  You thought the former roommate had taken everything with him/her that he/she beleived belonged to him/her, but now the former roommate is demanding the return of other items.
If you believe that everything left behind rightfully belongs to you, then you are under no obligation to return the items to your former roommate.  If there are items that you believe rightfully belong to the roommate then you should return the items.  If your former roommate is not satisfeid with this, then the former roommate has the legal option of filing a Warrant in Detinue seeking court intervenion for the return of the items or payment of the monetary value of the items.
In other words, unless there are items left behind that you believe rightfully belong to the former roommate then you need do nothing.

Posted over 8 years ago

Melvin E. Williams GRIMES & WILLIAMS, P.C. Franklin Commons 320 Elm Avenue, S.W. Roanoke, Virginia 24016 540-982-3711 540-345-6572 facsimile mwilliams@grimesandwilliams.com www.grimesandwilliams.com

Please note that this is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice to you. Legal advice pertaining to your particular situation can only be provided by a lawyer who has met with you to obtain all pertinent background information necessary to give you a formal legal opinion. For formal legal advice, hire a lawyer (many give a free first consultation). Contact Mel Williams, or search the Lawyer Directory.

For Lawyers:
Join the Directory
for Free!

Learn More
Labour & Employment Mel Williams Virginia Lawyer Mel Williams Verified Lawyer Areas of practice: 1. Employment discrimination,... Details

Connect with us:

Family Matters with Justice Harvey Brownstone - Watch Online TV ShowWatch Online TV Show