Court order

I live in Virginia.&nbsp; When I got my divorce two years ago, the court awarded me the house and my spouse the car.&nbsp;&nbsp; Now my spouse has quit paying for the car and they are taking both os us back to court.&nbsp; The house was put in my name and the car in his.&nbsp; <p>My question is:&nbsp; Can a court order be reversed to make me pay for this auto after two years?</p>

Asked over 8 years ago in Goodview, Virginia
Categories: Small Claims  Family

Answer Now

Eryk Gabhran Boston, Esq

Answer by Eryk Gabhran Boston, Esq

VerifiedVirginia lawyer

I would need to read your order and loan agreement to be sure but it sounds like both of you are liable to the bank for the loan.  The court order didn't affect the bank's rights.  It can only order your husband to pay the loan.  If he fails to do so and the bank comes after you, your remedy is to then force him to pay you whatever the bank took from you or have him held in contempt.  The problem is that, if he has no money, you have no recourse and the bank can collect against you.
Not legal advice.  For information only.

Posted over 8 years ago

Please note that this is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice to you. Legal advice pertaining to your particular situation can only be provided by a lawyer who has met with you to obtain all pertinent background information necessary to give you a formal legal opinion. For formal legal advice, hire a lawyer (many give a free first consultation). Contact Eryk Gabhran Boston, Esq, or search the Lawyer Directory.

For Lawyers:
Join the Directory
for Free!

Learn More
Alternate Dispute Resolution Christina McPherson California Lawyer Christina McPherson Verified Lawyer Details

Connect with us:

Family Matters with Justice Harvey Brownstone - Watch Online TV ShowWatch Online TV Show