Child support

I received a letter in the mail ordering child support. I have not been to court or even served with these actions.  Can the court do this without paternity being established?

Asked about 8 years ago in Charlottesville, Virginia
Categories: Family

Answer Now

Mel Williams

Answer by Mel Williams

VerifiedVirginia lawyer

The Division of Child Support Enforcement (DCSE) uses an administrative procedure that presumes paternity if the purported father does not respond to DSCE's inquiry. 
Is the correspondence that you recieved from a court or from DCSE?
Bottom line: you need to consult with an attorney knowlegeable in this field to sort this out and determine whether you need to take action, and if so, what action.

Posted about 8 years ago

Melvin E. Williams GRIMES & WILLIAMS, P.C. Franklin Commons 320 Elm Avenue, S.W. Roanoke, Virginia 24016 540-982-3711 540-345-6572 facsimile

Please note that this is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice to you. Legal advice pertaining to your particular situation can only be provided by a lawyer who has met with you to obtain all pertinent background information necessary to give you a formal legal opinion. For formal legal advice, hire a lawyer (many give a free first consultation). Contact Mel Williams, or search the Lawyer Directory.

For Lawyers:
Join the Directory
for Free!

Learn More
Personal Injury Sam L. Levine Georgia Lawyer Sam L. Levine Verified Lawyer I’m Sam Levine, and I live to help people. It shows in... Details

Connect with us:

Family Matters with Justice Harvey Brownstone - Watch Online TV ShowWatch Online TV Show