Child support agreement in bc but both parents live abroad now. for new childsupport agreement do you go through canada or the new country of residence?

Asked almost 9 years ago in British Columbia
Categories: Family Law

Answer Now

Robert J. Klassen

Answer by Robert J. Klassen

VerifiedBritish Columbia lawyer

If the child support agreement stated that British Columbia would be the applicable jurisdiction for any changes in the amount of child support then a new agreement should be entered into as Brtitish Columbia's age of majority is 19, in other provinces it can be 18, so if both parents are living abroad it would make sense to apply the child support amounts where the child is ordinarily resident. 
Robert Klassen

Posted almost 9 years ago

Please note that this is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice to you. Legal advice pertaining to your particular situation can only be provided by a lawyer who has met with you to obtain all pertinent background information necessary to give you a formal legal opinion. For formal legal advice, hire a lawyer (many give a free first consultation). Contact Robert J. Klassen, or search the Lawyer Directory.


<br />When the child turns 19 and decides to go to University would you go back to court then or would the original child support agreement continu?.&nbsp;Child is a citizen of the UK as well and lives there permanently&nbsp;for&nbsp;12 yrs&nbsp;. And would the rules then apply to the UK?

Posted almost 9 years ago

For Lawyers:
Join the Directory
for Free!

Learn More
Immigration Tim Bailey British Columbia Lawyer Tim Bailey Verified Lawyer Immigration to Canada is a matter of careful planning. Details

Connect with us:

Family Matters with Justice Harvey Brownstone - Watch Online TV ShowWatch Online TV Show