Can a parent control who their child dates? (has a relationship, boyfriend-girlfriend wise)

Asked about 9 years ago in Victoria, British Columbia
Categories: Family Law

Answer Now

Robert J. Klassen

Answer by Robert J. Klassen

VerifiedBritish Columbia lawyer

A child in British Columbia attains the age of majority at 19 years, but at 16 can choose to leave school.  As a child enters into the teen age years it is important that there be a level of communication that can allow the parent(s) to positively influence their child's decisions surrounding relationships.  To say that while that child lives under your roof, you will determine who and where that child goes, sounds good in theory, but often backfires with a child who behind your back may do exactly what you do not want them to do.

Posted about 9 years ago

Please note that this is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice to you. Legal advice pertaining to your particular situation can only be provided by a lawyer who has met with you to obtain all pertinent background information necessary to give you a formal legal opinion. For formal legal advice, hire a lawyer (many give a free first consultation). Contact Robert J. Klassen, or search the Lawyer Directory.

For Lawyers:
Join the Directory
for Free!

Learn More
Immigration Tim Bailey British Columbia Lawyer Tim Bailey Verified Lawyer Immigration to Canada is a matter of careful planning. Details

Connect with us:

Family Matters with Justice Harvey Brownstone - Watch Online TV ShowWatch Online TV Show