Me and my son have a very strong bond and he is worried about leaving his dad. is there anything i can do to prevent them from moving out of the province?

my 11 year old son tells me that him and my ex wife are moving to calgary we all live in ontario, is there anything i can do about this?

Asked over 8 years ago in Sarnia, Ontario
Categories: Family Law

Answer Now

Marc A.  D'Heureux

Answer by Marc A. D'Heureux

VerifiedOntario lawyer

If you have a court order or separation agreement you should first review it to see whether it contains any terms relating to the child's residence. If there is a term restricting the place of residence, your former wife would have to obtain your agreement, or a court order, permitting the move.  If there are no such terms (or if you have no order or agreement), you would have to start a court application and request an order stopping your son's residence from being moved.
The ultimate question of whether or not a court will permit the move will depend on all of the circumstances of your case.

Posted over 8 years ago

Please contact me directly for a consultation. Marc A. D'Heureux, Barrister & Solicitor, 555 Kingston Road. West, Ajax ON Tel:(905) 427-4077 ext. 27 Email:

Please note that this is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice to you. Legal advice pertaining to your particular situation can only be provided by a lawyer who has met with you to obtain all pertinent background information necessary to give you a formal legal opinion. For formal legal advice, hire a lawyer (many give a free first consultation). Contact Marc A. D'Heureux, or search the Lawyer Directory.

For Lawyers:
Join the Directory
for Free!

Learn More
Immigration Tim Bailey British Columbia Lawyer Tim Bailey Verified Lawyer Immigration to Canada is a matter of careful planning. Details

Connect with us:

Family Matters with Justice Harvey Brownstone - Watch Online TV ShowWatch Online TV Show