Contractors tools

What should I do when homeowner is keeping my tools and not letting me collect them after they just fired me for no reason. There is no contract. They are saying that I owe them money and have gotten a lawyer to contact me saying he wants a list of tools and once the money is received I can have my tools back. Should I be contacting the local authorities?

Asked 20 days ago in Corbeil, Ontario
Categories: Contracts  Criminal Law  Small Claims

Answer Now

Hamoody Hassan

Answer by Hamoody Hassan

VerifiedOntario lawyer

Your tools belong to you. It would be wise when taking and leaving tools elsewhere to photograph them in case they get stolen, go missing or are withheld. Also inscribe an identifier somewhere or apply something that cannot be removed on each tool so you can prove ownership - like your logo, your initials or name. I do not understand why you would owe the homeowner money if you did work, even poorly? If you did work within the last 45 days you perhaps can register a construction lien and serve notice on owner and his mortgage company. Then you can also sue for your tools to be returned plus the money owed for work. Alternaitvely you can take the owner to small claims court, or a superior court, depending on where you live and amounts involve. You could try the local police but they may say it is a civil matter. Be cautious of making social media posts or complaints or email or text exchanges as they could come back and cause problems or prove the homeowners position. I recommend not posting about customers or suppliers. I suggest seeing a lawyer or paralegal. They can let the homeowner know keeping your tools is a form of theft and he can be subject to prosecution for possession of stolen property or theft, or damages. Do noit try slef help by going to take toolks when it is clear they won't be reurned without a possible argument. You are on their property and will likely be blamed if there is an argument or fight, and that will add fuel to the fire. Hamoody Hassan, BA LLB, LSO 1979, Senior Counsel & Mediator,

Posted 20 days ago

This is general advice, not based upon any particular case, fact or law: seek individual legal advice. I can only answer generally and cannot offer an opinion about your case. If you want an objective opinion or to interview with a lawyer, check out many lawyers on the internet like our firm who offer free consultations on contingency files. You can also phone the Law Society Lawyer Referral Service directly at 1-855-947-5255 or 416-947-5255 (within the GTA), Monday - Friday, between 9 am - 5 pm. They will provide 3 names of lawyers who handle cases like yours. Good Luck! Hamoody Hassan, Senior Counsel,

Please note that this is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice to you. Legal advice pertaining to your particular situation can only be provided by a lawyer who has met with you to obtain all pertinent background information necessary to give you a formal legal opinion. For formal legal advice, hire a lawyer (many give a free first consultation). Contact <a href="" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Hamoody Hassan, Senior Counsel, </a><a href="" target="" rel=""></a><b><a href="" target="_blank" rel="nofollow"></a></b>, or search the <a href="" target="" rel="">Lawyer Directory</a>. <br>

For Lawyers:
Join the Directory
for Free!

Learn More
Patents, Trademarks, Copyright Andrei Mincov British Columbia Lawyer Andrei Mincov Verified Lawyer Protecting Your Ideas and Covering Your Assets™ since... Details

Connect with us:

Family Matters with Justice Harvey Brownstone - Watch Online TV ShowWatch Online TV Show