Terminating a contract

I am an independent contractor looking to terminate my contract early. Is this possible?

Asked 24 days ago in Newfoundland and Labrador
Categories: Business Law

Answer Now

Shira Kalfa

Answer by Shira Kalfa

Not VerifiedOntario lawyer

Depends on whether there is a force majeure provision in your contract. A force majeure provision would suspend performance of the contract in the event of some unanticipated 'greater force' or 'act of god'. Some have argued that the COVID-19 pandemic amounts to an act of god which permits suspension of the contract. This entirely depends on the language in the contract and depends on the obligations of the contract, particularly, whether or not the obligations cannot be performed. If there is no force majeure provision in the contract, the doctrine of frustration is a general common law principal imported into all contracts that you may be able to avail. Whereas force majeure would suspend the operation of the contract for the duration of the 'act of god', frustration would terminate the contract as a whole. Its best to have a lawyer quickly review this document to determine if you may rely on either of these provisions to terminate your contract.

Posted 16 days ago

Shira Kalfa is a founding partner of Kalfa Law, a business & tax law firm in Toronto. As the lead solicitor at Kalfa Law, Shiras' practice is focused on:

Corporate law including incorporation, joint ventures, partnership agreements, shareholder agreements and corporate restructuring
• Commercial law including asset and share purchase and sale transactions, contract drafting and review and financing
Tax law & tax planning 
Learn more about Kalfa Law here
Call Shira at: 416-631-7227
Email Shira at: reception@kalfalaw.com

Please note that this is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice to you. Legal advice pertaining to your particular situation can only be provided by a lawyer who has met with you to obtain all pertinent background information necessary to give you a formal legal opinion. For formal legal advice, hire a lawyer (many give a free first consultation). Contact Shira Kalfa, or search the Lawyer Directory.

For Lawyers:
Join the Directory
for Free!

Learn More
Family Law Robert J. Klassen British Columbia Lawyer Robert J. Klassen Verified Lawyer A divorce or separation does not have to DESTROY you ! Details

Connect with us:

Family Matters with Justice Harvey Brownstone - Watch Online TV ShowWatch Online TV Show