Harassment charges?

A police officer charged ny boyfriend with harassment while I was distressed during an argument. I am pregnant with our child and it has ruined our relationship and the planning of the babies arrival. How can I get these chatges dropped?

Asked about 1 month ago in Greater sudbury, on, Ontario
Categories: Criminal Law

Answer Now

Andrew Captan

Answer by Andrew Captan

Not VerifiedOntario lawyer


Unfortunately, it is not in your full control now to have the charges withdrawn; only the Crown Attorney (the prosecutor) can withdraw. Moreoever, they have a duty to consider the public interest at large when deciding whether to prosecute, not just your personal interests.  That said, one option you have is to obtain independent legal advice from a Criminal Lawyer in your area.  Often, individuals in your situation will prepare something in writing to provide to the Crown (such as a letter or Affidavit).  This should be done only with the advice of a lawyer.  In this input, you can express your intentions, as well as any other information you think might be relevant.

For more info on the offence of Criminal Harassment, you can visit the following link:


Good luck with this difficult situation.
Andrew Captan - Criminal Lawyer

Posted 13 days ago

Please note that this is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice to you. Legal advice pertaining to your particular situation can only be provided by a lawyer who has met with you to obtain all pertinent background information necessary to give you a formal legal opinion. For formal legal advice, hire a lawyer (many give a free first consultation). Contact Andrew Captan, or search the Lawyer Directory.

For Lawyers:
Join the Directory
for Free!

Learn More
Immigration Tim Bailey British Columbia Lawyer Tim Bailey Verified Lawyer Immigration to Canada is a matter of careful planning. Details

Connect with us:

Family Matters with Justice Harvey Brownstone - Watch Online TV ShowWatch Online TV Show