Cottage inheritance

Family cottage that has been in family after owner (mother) deceased for 31 years. It has never been changed over into children’s names. Taxes and repairs have continued to be paid over the years. How do we go about putting the cottage in our names now. Is it very expensive to do.

Asked about 1 month ago in Toronto, Ontario
Categories: Real Estate  Wills, Estates, Trusts

Answer Now

Shira Kalfa

Answer by Shira Kalfa

Not VerifiedOntario lawyer

Legal fees are surprisingly not too costly here. You require a real estate lawyer to record the transfer to the beneficiaries. To do this, you will need a copy of the Will and depending on the fact scenario you may need a Certificate of Estate Trustee. Contact a real estate lawyer and obtain a quote.

Posted about 1 month ago

Shira Kalfa is a founding partner of Kalfa Law, a business & tax law firm in Toronto. As the lead solicitor at Kalfa Law, Shiras' practice is focused on:

Corporate law including incorporation, joint ventures, partnership agreements, shareholder agreements and corporate restructuring
• Commercial law including asset and share purchase and sale transactions, contract drafting and review and financing
Tax law & tax planning 
Learn more about Kalfa Law here
Call Shira at: 416-631-7227
Email Shira at:

Please note that this is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice to you. Legal advice pertaining to your particular situation can only be provided by a lawyer who has met with you to obtain all pertinent background information necessary to give you a formal legal opinion. For formal legal advice, hire a lawyer (many give a free first consultation). Contact Shira Kalfa, or search the Lawyer Directory.

For Lawyers:
Join the Directory
for Free!

Learn More
Family Law Waldemar Igras Alberta Lawyer Waldemar Igras Verified Lawyer Waldemar Igras has restricted his practice almost... Details

Connect with us:

Family Matters with Justice Harvey Brownstone - Watch Online TV ShowWatch Online TV Show