False accusation

I was staying with a female who has contacted police and accused me of touching her inappropriately while she was asleep beside me in a bed we were sharing. An officer called and asked me to come in for a video statement, I called back refusing and saying unless I am under arrest I will not do that without a lawyer present. He said there is no evidence and I agreed.

Asked 5 months ago in London, Ontario
Categories: Human Rights  Criminal Law

Answer Now

Edward Prutschi

Answer by Edward Prutschi

VerifiedOntario lawyer

You did the right thing by exercising your right to silence but I would caution against assuming the officer shares your view that "there is no evidence".

People often forget that the statement from the female IS evidence even if uncorroborated. It doesn't mean they will be able to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt at trial but it DOES place you at risk of being charged with a serious crime.

Our experienced criminal defence lawyers can assist you if the police return and require any additional information from you.

Posted 5 months ago

Edward D. Prutschi Adler Bytensky Prutschi Shikhman Criminal Litigation
5000 Yonge Street, Suite 1708 Toronto, ON M2N 7E9
416-365-0853 (Tel) 416-365-0866 (Fax)
Prutschi@CrimLawCanada.com www.CrimLawCanada.com
www.facebook.com/CrimLawCanada Twitter @Prutschi

The information contained in this response is not intended to be a substitute for independent legal advice. Every situation is unique and the law is constantly changing. Always consult a lawyer with your own particular questions.

For Lawyers:
Join the Directory
for Free!

Learn More
Family Law Waldemar Igras Alberta Lawyer Waldemar Igras Verified Lawyer Waldemar Igras has restricted his practice almost... Details

Connect with us:

Family Matters with Justice Harvey Brownstone - Watch Online TV ShowWatch Online TV Show