What generally is a fair out of court settlement for child sexual assault, abuse and exploitation?

I was sexually assaulted, abused and exploited from ages 10 to 14 by my older brother who was 16 to 20. He also allowed his adult friends to give me alcohol and sexually abuse me when I was about 13 to 14. I was drinking and doing drugs very young trying not to feel and became pregnant when I was 16 and quit school in grade 11 and got married. I have suffered from PTSD Insomnia anxiety depression throughout my life, I had night terrors from ages 10 to about 27 about a year after the truth finally came out and then I no longer allowed him around me or my family. I have been on almost every anti depressant, anti anxiety and sleeping meds though out the years with very bad effects, I managed to be a very responsible and good young stay at home mom but was never able to get any independence, an education or build a career for myself. I still suffer from extreme PTSD Insomnia, anxiety and struggle every day to be ok. I confronted the abuser and then later contacted him to settle out of court so I could finally get the PTSD treatment I was recommended and deserve and for him to finally be held accountable for his actions. He involved a lawyer and now I feel bullied and the lawyer made an offer that is offensive and doesn't even cover treatment. He has a home in Mission BC and is a truck driver in the lower mainland and I am on CPP disability. What generally would be a fair out of court settlement?

Asked 8 months ago in British Columbia
Categories: Personal Injury

Answer Now

Benjamin O Mbaegbu

Answer by Benjamin O Mbaegbu

Not VerifiedOntario lawyer

Speak to a lawyer near to your residence that can allow free consultation.

Posted 8 months ago

Please note that this is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice to you. Legal advice pertaining to your particular situation can only be provided by a lawyer who has met with you to obtain all pertinent background information necessary to give you a formal legal opinion. For formal legal advice, hire a lawyer (many give a free first consultation). Contact Benjamin O Mbaegbu, or search the Lawyer Directory.

For Lawyers:
Join the Directory
for Free!

Learn More
Criminal Law John P Gustafson British Columbia Lawyer John P Gustafson Verified Lawyer You have rights. My job is to protect them. Details

Connect with us:

Family Matters with Justice Harvey Brownstone - Watch Online TV ShowWatch Online TV Show