Ex girlfriend refusing to return vehicle

my ex girlfriend drives my suv , its registered and plated under my name. she will not return it, is reporting it stolen my only option?

Asked 6 months ago in Saskatchewan
Categories: Criminal Law

Answer Now

Ayesha Naaz

Answer by Ayesha Naaz

Not VerifiedAlberta lawyer

Depends on whether you have declared her common law or not, she may claim ownership to your assets and vehicle. If you have acquired the vehicle during your period of cohabitation, she may try to show that it was an asset that she can claim a stake to. 

You may report it stolen to the police or file a civil claim for the recovery of your vehicle.  

However, the laws in Saskatchewan may vary. I am an Alberta lawyer and can advise in a scenario within Alberta.

Posted 6 months ago

Please note that this is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice to you. Legal advice pertaining to your particular situation can only be provided by a lawyer who has met with you to obtain all pertinent background information necessary to give you a formal legal opinion. For formal legal advice, hire a lawyer (many give a free first consultation). Contact Ayesha Naaz, or search the Lawyer Directory.

For Lawyers:
Join the Directory
for Free!

Learn More
Family Law Robert J. Klassen British Columbia Lawyer Robert J. Klassen Verified Lawyer A divorce or separation does not have to DESTROY you ! Details

Connect with us:

Family Matters with Justice Harvey Brownstone - Watch Online TV ShowWatch Online TV Show