I live and own a house in b.c. I was working 7 hours away in fort st john B.C. then quit due to the drive. I applied for ei and was denied, should i appeal?

Asked 6 months ago in British Columbia
Categories: Insurance

Answer Now

Dana Quantz

Answer by Dana Quantz

Not VerifiedBritish Columbia lawyer

Employment insurance is not available for individuals who voluntarily leave their employment without just cause.

Just cause exists to voluntarily leave employment and is largely defined under the Employment Insurance Act, s. 29(c).

Unfortunately, there is no statutory definition that suggests the length of a commute to work entitles a worker to benefits on its own.

However, if an employer changed the terms of the employment agreement by, for example, refusing to pay travel expenses into a camp then it is possible to argue for benefits, assuming no other exclusions apply.

Posted 5 months ago

Please note that this is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice to you. Legal advice pertaining to your particular situation can only be provided by a lawyer who has met with you to obtain all pertinent background information necessary to give you a formal legal opinion. For formal legal advice, hire a lawyer (many give a free first consultation). Contact Dana Quantz, or search the Lawyer Directory.

For Lawyers:
Join the Directory
for Free!

Learn More
Family Law Waldemar Igras Alberta Lawyer Waldemar Igras Verified Lawyer Waldemar Igras has restricted his practice almost... Details

Connect with us:

Family Matters with Justice Harvey Brownstone - Watch Online TV ShowWatch Online TV Show