Can't i take support enforcement to court for damages?

I have had my pay checks gurnished by support enforcement based on false information given from my ex. Even when shown that the information was false support enforcement continued to go after my pay checks until I went public with the matter and the director personally looked into my account and stopped the garnishments. Then a few months passed and with out warning started to garnish my pay checks again because there system does not update quick. They took 2000.00 extra in one month and its going to effect me flying to and from work and may cause me to lose my job. Can I take them to court for damages?

Asked about 1 year ago in London, Ontario
Categories: General Legal Questions  Family Law

Answer Now

Hamoody Hassan

Answer by Hamoody Hassan

VerifiedOntario lawyer

If you can prove breach of trust and bad faith on their part, you may have a valid claim especially since you put them on notice. They are required by law to enforce outstanding support orders so support appears to be owing, an affidavit of arrears is filed and if the order remains in force technically, it may limit your right to sue. Hamoody Hassan Senior Counsel,

Posted about 1 year ago

This is general advice, not based upon any particular case, fact or law: seek individual legal advice. I can only answer generally and cannot offer an opinion about your case. If you want an objective opinion or to interview with a lawyer, check out many lawyers on the internet like our firm who offer free consultations on contingency files. You can also phone the Law Society Lawyer Referral Service directly at 1-855-947-5255 or 416-947-5255 (within the GTA), Monday - Friday, between 9 am - 5 pm. They will provide 3 names of lawyers who handle cases like yours. Good Luck! Hamoody Hassan, Senior Counsel,

Please note that this is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice to you. Legal advice pertaining to your particular situation can only be provided by a lawyer who has met with you to obtain all pertinent background information necessary to give you a formal legal opinion. For formal legal advice, hire a lawyer (many give a free first consultation). Contact <a href="" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Hamoody Hassan, Senior Counsel, </a><a href="" target="" rel=""></a><b><a href="" target="_blank" rel="nofollow"></a></b>, or search the <a href="" target="" rel="">Lawyer Directory</a>. <br>

For Lawyers:
Join the Directory
for Free!

Learn More
Criminal Law John P Gustafson British Columbia Lawyer John P Gustafson Verified Lawyer You have rights. My job is to protect them. Details

Connect with us:

Family Matters with Justice Harvey Brownstone - Watch Online TV ShowWatch Online TV Show