Theft case under 5000

i was working in a store as a cashier and i 80dollars after my shifts end and i also have a extra receipt of customer of my own id..and i also have stickers that posted in a big item...i admiited i stole they.fired me and called the police.police gave me a notice.of appearance in court and also for.finger first offense and i have beeen in canada since 8mnths i just.have a PR card.. i i dont want that they charged me.a criminal i feel.guilty...and i am also pregnant.

Asked 12 months ago in Etobicoke, Ontario
Categories: Criminal Law

Answer Now

Andrew Captan

Answer by Andrew Captan

Not VerifiedOntario lawyer


I'm a criminal lawyer who can assist with your inquiry.

Sorry to hear about the situation regarding the Theft Under $5,000 / Shoplifting incident.  If you were not an employee of the store, I would suggest right off the bat that the Crown would likely screen your matter for Diversion, which is a way of dealing with a criminal matter without going through the regular process.  Completing a Diversion program would ultimately see the charge being withdrawn.

However, because you were an employee, the matter is normally treated a bit more seriously, as there is an "aggravating" factor of it being a breach of trust.  Judges and Crowns are required to treat breach of trust in a different way than a standard Theft case.  For that reason, I would recommend consulting with / retaining a criminal lawyer.

For more information on Theft Under $5,000, you can visit my website:

If you have any further questions, you can direct them to my contact info listed below.
Andrew Captan
Criminal Lawyer
T: 647.878.6355
F: 647.258.4699

Posted 12 months ago

Please note that this is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice to you. Legal advice pertaining to your particular situation can only be provided by a lawyer who has met with you to obtain all pertinent background information necessary to give you a formal legal opinion. For formal legal advice, hire a lawyer (many give a free first consultation). Contact Andrew Captan, or search the Lawyer Directory.

For Lawyers:
Join the Directory
for Free!

Learn More
Landlord-Tenant Caryma Sa'd Ontario Lawyer Caryma Sa'd Verified Lawyer Law Office of Caryma Sa'd CALL or TEXT:... Details

Connect with us:

Family Matters with Justice Harvey Brownstone - Watch Online TV ShowWatch Online TV Show