Discrimination from school , and school refusal to remove a name of a student.

Hi, I am a student in a secondary school, the school posted my name without my consent onto the wall, since I am an international student my name was posted on the "international student" only section in which the chart on the wall is to assign to me which "PACK" (homeroom) class I go to. The other Non-International Student/Citizens had their own section on the other side of the school where they are addressed to their separate "PACK" (homeroom) class. I have addressed the school that this causes discrimination and racism but the school refuse to take it down as they claim that keeping the chart segregated is the best way for the school to contact its students and after talking with the counselor and vice principal their own excuse was "deal with it" and claimed that many black people in the school gets called the "N" word and they deal with every day, and started to use emotional stories and BS persuasion to its students. Is it even legal for a PUBLIC school to do this? I am considering taking legal action if what the school has done is Illegal.

Asked 11 months ago in Coquitlam, British Columbia
Categories: Human Rights  Constitutional Law  Privacy Law

Answer Now

Caryma Sa'd

Answer by Caryma Sa'd

VerifiedOntario lawyer

i am really sorry to hear about this issue. Discrimination with respect to accommodation, services and facilities are human rights violation under the British Columbia Human Rights Code and you can proceed with a legal action before the Human Rights Tribunal. 

Feel free to get in touch if you would like to discuss further. Our practice areas include criminal, human rights laws and landlord and tenant board issues. You can call and text me at 647-360-7182. 

Yours very truly,
Caryma Sa'd

Posted 10 months ago

Please note that this is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice to you. Legal advice pertaining to your particular situation can only be provided by a lawyer who has met with you to obtain all pertinent background information necessary to give you a formal legal opinion. For formal legal advice, hire a lawyer (many give a free first consultation). Contact Caryma Sa'd, or search the Lawyer Directory.

For Lawyers:
Join the Directory
for Free!

Learn More
Criminal Law John P Gustafson British Columbia Lawyer John P Gustafson Verified Lawyer You have rights. My job is to protect them. Details

Connect with us:

Family Matters with Justice Harvey Brownstone - Watch Online TV ShowWatch Online TV Show