Non-conviction no-charge records on background checks

I live with my brother in Ontario, Canada. He had a girlfriend with whom he broke up last October. She owed me some money which I never got back from her. So apparently there were some text messages exchanged between them and he left him a couple of angry voice mails, so she calls the cops on my brother, they came to our door and she had given my name and his name both as people harassing her!, they told us not to call her anymore, I said I never called her, they talked to my brother and they left, a couple of days later they called again and asked to meet us, this time I said I was busy but they met my brother and said apparently she had received text from unknown numbers calling her names and asking for some money she owed back, so the cops met him and explained not to contact her again, checked his phone (voluntarily) and left, then they called me and said the same thing. No charges were laid or anything. This happened in August 2017. Now I recently got a job offer which requires a Certified Criminal Record Check issued under privacy act by RCMP. This is the job opportunity I have been waiting for all my life and I have got my foot in the door already. I have applied for the background check by RCMP and I am currently awaiting the results. I am worried the cops might have made notes regarding these incidents which might show up on my certified criminal record check even though no charges were laid and they never contacted us again. Is this a valid concern? if it does show up, what are my options to have this non-charge and non-conviction info. removed? I have heard stories of police reports (non-conviction and non-charge) showing up on background checks and ruining people's lives and I am very worried.

Asked 7 months ago in Newmarket, Ontario
Categories: Human Rights  Criminal Law  Labour & Employment

Answer Now

Benjamin O Mbaegbu

Answer by Benjamin O Mbaegbu

Not VerifiedOntario lawyer

You have no criminal record regarding this incident. However, it Will be on record that the police spoke to you and the reasons for their attendance at your residence. For the fact that you were not convicted in court, means no criminal record

Posted 7 months ago

Please note that this is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice to you. Legal advice pertaining to your particular situation can only be provided by a lawyer who has met with you to obtain all pertinent background information necessary to give you a formal legal opinion. For formal legal advice, hire a lawyer (many give a free first consultation). Contact Benjamin O Mbaegbu, or search the Lawyer Directory.

For Lawyers:
Join the Directory
for Free!

Learn More
Landlord-Tenant Caryma Sa'd Ontario Lawyer Caryma Sa'd Verified Lawyer Law Office of Caryma Sa'd CALL or TEXT:... Details

Connect with us:

Family Matters with Justice Harvey Brownstone - Watch Online TV ShowWatch Online TV Show