Spousal abandonment

What is needed to prove spousal abandonment in Canada? My wife left me while we were living overseas. I was then under psychiatric treatment for depression and anxiety. She harassed me daily for over 2 months to sign a document to give her the right to take our kids back to Canada. In my mental state, I couldnt handle the persistent nagging and relented and signed it. They were gone a week later. My health continued to deteriorate and i wound up in the hospital on 2 different occasions feeling like my life was coming to an end. My wife didnt even call to check on me and i have barely heard from her since. If it had not been for my parents who have taken care of me, i would not be around. What would be the process of laying charges if it is indeed abandonment? Do I file in Canada or from my country abroad?

Asked 4 months ago in Ontario
Categories: Criminal Law  Family Law

Answer Now

Caryma Sa'd

Answer by Caryma Sa'd

VerifiedOntario lawyer

Hello and thank you for your question. First off, I would like to say that our firm practices criminal and landlord/tenant law only and therefor this question is outside the scope of our practice. Although some countries address spousal abandonment in their criminal codes, Canada does not. This makes it a family law issue spinning on the concept of no fault divorce, which is subject matter for a family lawyer. The good news is that there are many such lawyers practicing in the Toronto area.

If you ever have a criminal or landlord/tenant related legal issue, please feel free to contact our office. Our information is: 
222 Spadina Ave, Suite 276 Toronto, ON M5T 3B3
T: 647-360-7182
F: 647-360-7192

All the best,

Caryma Sa'd

Posted 4 months ago

Please note that this is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice to you. Legal advice pertaining to your particular situation can only be provided by a lawyer who has met with you to obtain all pertinent background information necessary to give you a formal legal opinion. For formal legal advice, hire a lawyer (many give a free first consultation). Contact Caryma Sa'd, or search the Lawyer Directory.

For Lawyers:
Join the Directory
for Free!

Learn More
Landlord-Tenant Caryma Sa'd Ontario Lawyer Caryma Sa'd Verified Lawyer Law Office of Caryma Sa'd CALL or TEXT:... Details

Connect with us:

Family Matters with Justice Harvey Brownstone - Watch Online TV ShowWatch Online TV Show