Can you marry the same person in two different countries?

I am a Canadian citizen, my husband is a Pakistani citizen. We got married in England a few years ago when we were students. My family doesn’t know and we need to get ‘officially’ married in Canada and we don’t want my parents to find out we are already married. Can we get married again in Canada? He would be coming to Canada on a visit visa. We both currently live in China.

Asked 6 months ago in Alberta
Categories: Civil Litigation  Immigration  Family Law

Answer Now

Benjamin O Mbaegbu

Answer by Benjamin O Mbaegbu

Not VerifiedOntario lawyer

You didn't need to get married again, even though the first marriage is discreet as you explained.
you can use the  same marriage certificate you got from London england to sponsor your husband in Canada.
otherwise, if you need your family to attend wedding hosted by you, it's your choice and discretion.

Posted 6 months ago

Please note that this is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice to you. Legal advice pertaining to your particular situation can only be provided by a lawyer who has met with you to obtain all pertinent background information necessary to give you a formal legal opinion. For formal legal advice, hire a lawyer (many give a free first consultation). Contact Benjamin O Mbaegbu, or search the Lawyer Directory.


I know I don’t have to get married again and I can sponsor him by using the England certificate, however, can I still, if I want to, register my marriage again in Canada?

Posted 6 months ago

For Lawyers:
Join the Directory
for Free!

Learn More
Appellate Practice Edward Prutschi Ontario Lawyer Edward Prutschi Verified Lawyer Don't let criminal charges destroy your future. Invest in a... Details

Connect with us:

Family Matters with Justice Harvey Brownstone - Watch Online TV ShowWatch Online TV Show