Seeking help/advice for a meeting regarding an allegation that was made. (currently suspended from work)

I work as a front line Instructor at a residential treatment program for teenage boys at risk. I’ve recently received a call that an allegation was made against me at work from a student, I am now suspended from work until the investigation is over. Tomorrow I have a meeting to go to the police station to make a statement. I’m looking to see what kind of help or advice you could offer me, in order to be prepared for the meeting, to avoid potential unexpected issues.

Asked 8 months ago in Ontario
Categories: Criminal Law

Answer Now

Andrew Captan

Answer by Andrew Captan

Not VerifiedOntario lawyer


We are not able to provide specific legal advice on here, just general legal information.  Based on the information you provided, it appears you may be a suspect in a criminal investigation.

You should know that a suspect is under no legal obligation to attend at the police station, even if the police ask for this to happen.

Further, as a suspect, you have a right to silence; for example, if you attend the police station, you do not have to say anything about what happened if you choose not to.

If you choose to voluntarily attend at the station to make a statement, anything you say can be used against you.  For example, you may say something that provides the police with sufficient grounds to arrest you for a criminal offence; or, you may say something to the police that might be used later on in court against you by the Crown Attorney for the purpose of prosecuting you.

If you want specific legal advice on what to do, you should have an in person meeting with a criminal lawyer in your area.
Andrew Captan
Toronto Criminal Lawyer

Posted 8 months ago

Please note that this is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice to you. Legal advice pertaining to your particular situation can only be provided by a lawyer who has met with you to obtain all pertinent background information necessary to give you a formal legal opinion. For formal legal advice, hire a lawyer (many give a free first consultation). Contact Andrew Captan, or search the Lawyer Directory.

For Lawyers:
Join the Directory
for Free!

Learn More
Landlord-Tenant Caryma Sa'd Ontario Lawyer Caryma Sa'd Verified Lawyer Law Office of Caryma Sa'd CALL or TEXT:... Details

Connect with us:

Family Matters with Justice Harvey Brownstone - Watch Online TV ShowWatch Online TV Show