My ex wants to keep my daighter this weekend and it is my weekend. I live in Ontario and this is a court ordered agreement. What can i do about this?

Asked 12 months ago in Ontario
Categories: General Legal Questions  Family Law

Answer Now

John  P. Schuman, C.S.

Answer by John P. Schuman, C.S.

VerifiedOntario lawyer

A carefully drafted separation agreement, Family Court Order,  or parenting plan will anticipate most things that will come up in a child's life.  But, it is not possible to anticipate everything.  Things always change for children and unanticipated things creep up.  Judges understand that, even when a judge has spent the time determining what custody order is in a child's best interest.  So, where parents can agree that a change to what is set out in a court order, either for once or permanently, is in a child's best interest, then judges understand - unless a children's aid society or the judge's order says that no changes are allowed. In most cases, judges (and children's aid societies) like it when parents can agree to changes to schedules, and other aspects of their children's lives, in ways that benefit their children.

With judges preferring parents being flexible to meet their children's best interests, the purpose of Parenting Orders, parenting plans or separation agreements is to really to set out what will happen when the parents, unfortunately, cannot agree.  When parents cannot agree whether something is in a child's best interest, the "fall back" is what is in the Court Order, parenting plan or separation agreement.  Put another way, if the parents do not agree to deviate from the parenting plan, one of them cannot to so without getting a judge to change the Court Order or agreement.

When a parent asks a judge to change a Parenting Order or agreement, the judge will decide what to do based on what is in the child's best interest. It is possible that decision is not what one, or both, parents want.   Also, a parent who refused unreasonably refused to cooperate with the other parent, or denied to make changes without a good reason, may get in trouble from the judge.  That parent may have to pay the other parent's legal fees.  Or, can lose custody of the child if the judge thinks the parent was trying to harm the child's relationship with the other parent.  It is always best to try to be reasonable and cooperate when it comes to parenting after separation - even when the other parent is being unreasonable. 

The process for going back to court can be quite complicated, and involve several court appearances.  Before going to court, it is important for a parent to gather the evidence that what they want is in the child's best interest.  All that will not be worth it for one simple change.  And, it is unlikely you will get the change made or an upcoming weekend.  (Note, it is best to get travel consents arranged months in advance to avoid court delays.)  Parents who find that they have a lot of difficulty cooperating with the other parent and the Court Order or Parenting Plan does not resolve the issues, may want to consider using a parenting coordinator.  That professional can quickly either assist with, or make, parenting decisions, such as whether a child should attend a special event on an upcoming weekend.  It is important to keep a child insulated from, or losing out because of, fights between parents.

You can get a lot more information about Ontario Family Law issues, including a further explanation of child custody and parenting legal issues by downloading this $9.99 e-book for KindleKobo, or iPad/iPhone/Mac or ordering the paperback version.  But, to keep out of trouble, it is always best to speak with a good family law lawyer. 

Posted 11 months ago

John Schuman is a Certified Specialist in Family Law.  He is the partner managing the Family Law Group at Devry Smith Frank LLP, a full service law firm located near Eglinton and the Don Valley Parkway in Toronto. Learn more about John! Call him at 416-446-5080 or 416-446-5847 or email Listen to the Ontario Family Law Podcast!

Please note that this is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice to you. Legal advice pertaining to your particular situation can only be provided by a lawyer who has met with you to obtain all pertinent background information necessary to give you a formal legal opinion. For formal legal advice, hire a lawyer (many give a free first consultation). Contact John P. Schuman, C.S., or search the Lawyer Directory.

For Lawyers:
Join the Directory
for Free!

Learn More
Landlord-Tenant Caryma Sa'd Ontario Lawyer Caryma Sa'd Verified Lawyer Law Office of Caryma Sa'd CALL or TEXT:... Details

Connect with us:

Family Matters with Justice Harvey Brownstone - Watch Online TV ShowWatch Online TV Show