Physical harrassment and divorce and my husband stayed in Ontario for nearly 2 years and during that time he physically and mentally Harrassed me and threatened me of not complaining to police and i could not make a complaint. i left him and came back home country india and now he had made huge credit cards debts on me and those cards are with recovery department... i have a fear that he might divorce me and reamarry a Canadian inorder to get permanent residence... please help me what can i do.. we have a kid and he is Canadian and he is 3 yr old now and is with me in india.. please helpthanks

Asked 12 months ago in Milton, Ontario
Categories: Immigration  Human Rights  Family Law

Answer Now

Angelina Shuster

Answer by Angelina Shuster

VerifiedOntario paralegal

Your husband is free to divorce you and marry somebody else. You cannot control his decisions.

If you would like to report his past abuse towards you, please contact the police. 

If you suspect that your husband will marry a Canadian for immigration status only, you can report him to immigration authorities, however you will have to present evidence about his fraudulent intentions.

Posted 12 months ago

Please note that this is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice to you. Legal advice pertaining to your particular situation can only be provided by a lawyer who has met with you to obtain all pertinent background information necessary to give you a formal legal opinion. For formal legal advice, hire a lawyer (many give a free first consultation). Contact Angelina Shuster, or search the Lawyer Directory.


thanks.. but all the abuse happened in 2014 and 2015 and i never complained at that time , will the police believe me .. i do have evidence to support his abuses

Posted 12 months ago

For Lawyers:
Join the Directory
for Free!

Learn More
Family Law Robert J. Klassen British Columbia Lawyer Robert J. Klassen Verified Lawyer A divorce or separation does not have to DESTROY you ! Details

Connect with us:

Family Matters with Justice Harvey Brownstone - Watch Online TV ShowWatch Online TV Show