Refusal to honour separation agreement

My wife agreed to a buyout amount on our marital home. She had her lawyer write a Separation Agreement with the agreed to amount. A few months passed before I signed the agreement and returned it as it took me some time to find a lawyer and gather the amount needed to pay her out. Now she is refusing to sign her own agreement saying the property value increased and she wants more money. Is the original Separation Agreement still binding? Should I take her to court to get her to honour it? Thanks

Asked 11 months ago in Ontario
Categories: Family Law

Answer Now

Hamoody Hassan

Answer by Hamoody Hassan

VerifiedOntario lawyer

Generally speaking,  Lawyers cannot offer any opinion on this as you already have a lawyer. That lawyer is in the best position to help you decide whether the court costs, time and delay is worth it given the amount involved with the buyout. Good luck, Hamoody Hassan, Senior Counsel,

Posted 11 months ago

This is general advice, not based upon any particular case, fact or law: seek individual legal advice. I can only answer generally and cannot offer an opinion about your case. If you want an objective opinion or to interview with a lawyer, check out many lawyers on the internet like our firm who offer free consultations on contingency files. You can also phone the Law Society Lawyer Referral Service directly at 1-855-947-5255 or 416-947-5255 (within the GTA), Monday - Friday, between 9 am - 5 pm. They will provide 3 names of lawyers who handle cases like yours. Good Luck! Hamoody Hassan, Senior Counsel,

Please note that this is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice to you. Legal advice pertaining to your particular situation can only be provided by a lawyer who has met with you to obtain all pertinent background information necessary to give you a formal legal opinion. For formal legal advice, hire a lawyer (many give a free first consultation). Contact <a href="" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Hamoody Hassan, Senior Counsel, </a><a href="" target="" rel=""></a><b><a href="" target="_blank" rel="nofollow"></a></b>, or search the <a href="" target="" rel="">Lawyer Directory</a>. <br>


I don't have a lawyer working on my case any longer. That is why I am using this forum for advice. I fired my lawyer as he was incompetent and billing me incorrectly.

Posted 11 months ago

For Lawyers:
Join the Directory
for Free!

Learn More
Family Law Waldemar Igras Alberta Lawyer Waldemar Igras Verified Lawyer I can make the difference. Details

Connect with us:

Family Matters with Justice Harvey Brownstone - Watch Online TV ShowWatch Online TV Show