Buying out a common law partner ( separation)

We both own the house half and half In case of a a common law partner buying out the other ( family home)Who pays the lawyer fees like transfer of title etc And if the bank wants to do a house appraisal b4 the buying partner can refinance the mortgage Who pays for the appraisal?

Asked 12 months ago in Toronto, Ontario
Categories: Real Estate

Answer Now

Jason Berger

Answer by Jason Berger

Not VerifiedOntario lawyer

Hi there, I don't think there is any specific rule. It would just be part of the agreement. For example, you can factor those fees into the total amount of the buyout, and simply split them 50/50. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you. 

Posted 12 months ago

Please note that this is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice to you. Legal advice pertaining to your particular situation can only be provided by a lawyer who has met with you to obtain all pertinent background information necessary to give you a formal legal opinion. For formal legal advice, hire a lawyer (many give a free first consultation). Contact Jason Berger, or search the Lawyer Directory.

For Lawyers:
Join the Directory
for Free!

Learn More
Family Law Waldemar Igras Alberta Lawyer Waldemar Igras Verified Lawyer I can make the difference. Details

Connect with us:

Family Matters with Justice Harvey Brownstone - Watch Online TV ShowWatch Online TV Show