Hi, my bf is my surety and we broke up and my agreement was to live with him. What does this mean to me if he longer wants to be my surety?I was charged with fraud twice

Asked 12 months ago in Toronto, Ontario
Categories: Criminal Law

Answer Now

Andrew Captan

Answer by Andrew Captan

Not VerifiedOntario lawyer

If you have a lawyer, you should let them know immediately.  If your boyfriend decides to "withdraw" from his duties, he may file a "surety relief" application, which would require you to step back into custody until a new surety is found.

Alternatively, a "surety substitution" can occur prior to surety relief being filed.  Again, you should consult your lawyer before any of that happens.
Andrew Captan
Toronto Criminal Lawyer

Posted 12 months ago

Please note that this is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice to you. Legal advice pertaining to your particular situation can only be provided by a lawyer who has met with you to obtain all pertinent background information necessary to give you a formal legal opinion. For formal legal advice, hire a lawyer (many give a free first consultation). Contact Andrew Captan, or search the Lawyer Directory.

For Lawyers:
Join the Directory
for Free!

Learn More
Family Law Robert J. Klassen British Columbia Lawyer Robert J. Klassen Verified Lawyer A divorce or separation does not have to DESTROY you ! Details

Connect with us:

Family Matters with Justice Harvey Brownstone - Watch Online TV ShowWatch Online TV Show