A quick question! I met this girl online, on Tinder, then she just came from chicago, but she was from toronto and she was telling me how she lost her father and she is the only child and she lost her job and blabla. so she was looking for a place but because she didn't have a good standing credit, she wasn't able to rent anywhere. and her landlord was calling her everyday asking her to leave. because the room that she had rented before which was in a house was being demolished for a new construction and she had leave. that being said, i really felt bad and i asked her to come to my place, i said hey dont worry come here until you find a place. I rented a van got her stuff, she didnt have much, and brought it here, as soon as she came, after a week or two she said i had a job and now i lost it. my contract is finished, now i cant find any job and so on and so for. now she is home everyday, she has strong mode swing, one moment happy, the next moment sad and crying. I tried to ask her if she found a job or if she's trying, every time she yells at me saying listen this is the consequences of you asking me to come here. why did you ask me to move in with you and so on. I was just trying to be nice and help another human. now i have no life in home. I also over heard her talking to her friend. apprently her friend was telling her how to stay more than three months there and than it will be common-law. i dont even know the meaning of this. but I'd like this to be finished. im not sure how to proceed or what to do

Asked almost 3 years ago in Toronto, Ontario
Categories: Family Law  Landlord-Tenant

Answer Now

Caryma Sa'd

Answer by Caryma Sa'd

VerifiedOntario lawyer


I'm very sorry to hear about your living situation. In order to give you proper advice, I would need to further discuss your situation with you.

A common law relationship is a relationship that is regarded as marriage by common law. Common law recognizes unions created by mutual agreement and public behaviour rather than a civil or ecclesiastical ceremony.

In order for two individuals to having common-law standing in Ontario, they must be a couple who is living together in a conjugal relationship for three years or more, or one year with a child.

Feel free to get in touch if you would like to discuss further. Our practice areas include criminal, human rights laws and landlord and tenant board issues. You can call and text me at 647-360-7182. 

Yours very truly,
Caryma Sa'd

Posted 12 months ago

Please note that this is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice to you. Legal advice pertaining to your particular situation can only be provided by a lawyer who has met with you to obtain all pertinent background information necessary to give you a formal legal opinion. For formal legal advice, hire a lawyer (many give a free first consultation). Contact Caryma Sa'd, or search the Lawyer Directory.

For Lawyers:
Join the Directory
for Free!

Learn More
Immigration Tim Bailey British Columbia Lawyer Tim Bailey Verified Lawyer Immigration to Canada is a matter of careful planning. Details

Connect with us:

Family Matters with Justice Harvey Brownstone - Watch Online TV ShowWatch Online TV Show