30 days reply family law bc

I was served papers on 5th May to goto to supreme court on May 17 for occupation of family home (spouse and step children) and child support and spousal support. I believe I have 30 days to respond to the documents served. Can I respond to my spouses lawyer asking them to give me the full 30 dayswhich will postpone the court case?

Asked about 1 year ago in Lumby, British Columbia
Categories: Family Law

Answer Now

Leena Yousefi

Answer by Leena Yousefi

VerifiedBritish Columbia lawyer

It sounds like the lawyer has obtained something called an "exemption from the JCC requirement". Have you been served with a Requisition? It basically means that they have obtained permission to have the Application heard prior to the 30 day deadline. If that is the case, you will need to provide response materials to their application. Since occupancy and support are at stake, I highly recommend that you at least consult with a family lawyer and don't do it yourself because the first stage of litigation sets the tone and stage for the rest of it. I am not currently taking on any client, but you can click on my best family lawyer blog to find out the best lawyers in BC to assist you. Good luck!

Posted about 1 year ago

Leena Yousefi | Founder and Lawyer
YLaw Family & Divorce Lawyers
Award Winning Firm: http://www.ylaw.ca/

The information provided is general legal information and is not intended to be personal legal advise to anyone. 

For Lawyers:
Join the Directory
for Free!

Learn More
Alternate Dispute Resolution David Moon Ontario Lawyer David Moon Verified Lawyer Details

Connect with us:

Family Matters with Justice Harvey Brownstone - Watch Online TV ShowWatch Online TV Show