Title and ownership of a property change

Hi there,My husband and I no longer live together and I want to know if I can change the title and ownership on my house (which is on my name ONLY and not my spouse) to one of my kids without being penalized. it is possible for me to do so without his signature???Thank you

Asked almost 4 years ago in Ontario
Categories: Municipal Law  Tax  Elder Law  Real Estate  Wills, Estates, Trusts  Private Investigations  Privacy Law  General Legal Questions  Workers' Compensation  Family Law  Legal Aid

Answer Now

Katherine Chartrand

Answer by Katherine Chartrand

Not VerifiedOntario lawyer

Do you have a signed legal agreement that you are separated?  Even though your husband is not on the title, the home is classified as the matrimonial home which he would have rights to should something happen to you.  You have the right to put who you want to on the title, however, I would suggest that you make certain that you have a legal separation agreement done up to protect all of your assets.

Posted over 3 years ago

Please note that this is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice to you. Legal advice pertaining to your particular situation can only be provided by a lawyer who has met with you to obtain all pertinent background information necessary to give you a formal legal opinion. For formal legal advice, hire a lawyer (many give a free first consultation). Contact Katherine Chartrand, or search the Lawyer Directory.

For Lawyers:
Join the Directory
for Free!

Learn More
Criminal Law John P Gustafson British Columbia Lawyer John P Gustafson Verified Lawyer You have rights. My job is to protect them. Details

Connect with us:

Family Matters with Justice Harvey Brownstone - Watch Online TV ShowWatch Online TV Show