My rights as a common law spouse

My common law spouse died suddenly of a brain anurysum and his children took immediate possession of his remains and death certificate. I was with this man for over 7 years. His children had me banned from the hospital and all decisions regarding him. He had no relationship with his kids because of the trouble they caused in his life. What can I do to get him remains and death certificate? He had no will and now the daughter is trying to get power of his estate . The hired a lawyer. Do I have any legal rights?

Asked about 5 years ago in Alberta
Categories: Prisoners' Rights  Wills, Estates, Trusts

Answer Now

Katherine MacRae

Answer by Katherine MacRae

VerifiedAlberta lawyer

Yes, as a common law spouse, you do have rights as an adult interdependent partner, and you are entitled to a share of the estate.  .

Posted about 5 years ago

Please note that this is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice to you. Legal advice pertaining to your particular situation can only be provided by a lawyer who has met with you to obtain all pertinent background information necessary to give you a formal legal opinion. For formal legal advice, hire a lawyer (many give a free first consultation). Contact Katherine MacRae, or search the Lawyer Directory.

For Lawyers:
Join the Directory
for Free!

Learn More
Family Law Waldemar Igras Alberta Lawyer Waldemar Igras Verified Lawyer Waldemar Igras has restricted his practice almost... Details

Connect with us:

Family Matters with Justice Harvey Brownstone - Watch Online TV ShowWatch Online TV Show