Unaccompanied minor

I am 17 years old and i am a permanent resident of Canada under Filipino nationality. My friends and I are travelling to the US by air and i would just like to know what documents should i bring given that my parents are not coming with me

Asked over 5 years ago in Vancouver, British Columbia
Categories: Immigration  International

Answer Now

Tim Bailey

Answer by Tim Bailey

VerifiedBritish Columbia lawyer

The Canadian immigration officers will expect you to have your PR card and your Philippines passport.  you could also bring your local provincial ID as well. As a minor travelling alone, you should probably obtain a letter from one or both of your parents (if possible) explaining why you are travelling alone, and what your purpose is.  You should also contact the airline beforehand to see whether there will be any difficulties - just because they sold you a ticket does not mean they know that you are travelling unaccompanied by a parent or guardian.  If your parents are meeting you at the airport upon your arrival, then that make it easier for you when you arrive, but it still may not satisfy the airline.

Posted over 5 years ago

Please note that this is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice to you. Legal advice pertaining to your particular situation can only be provided by a lawyer who has met with you to obtain all pertinent background information necessary to give you a formal legal opinion. For formal legal advice, hire a lawyer (many give a free first consultation). Contact Tim Bailey, or search the Lawyer Directory.

For Lawyers:
Join the Directory
for Free!

Learn More
Criminal Law John P Gustafson British Columbia Lawyer John P Gustafson Verified Lawyer You have rights. My job is to protect them. Details

Connect with us:

Family Matters with Justice Harvey Brownstone - Watch Online TV ShowWatch Online TV Show