Sponsoring parent

I want to sponsor my father to come to Canada from the US. I know I do not meet the income requirement but he has his own monthly income and private insurance that he can bring with him, so he will not be 100% dependent on me or my husband for support. But besides being his only child, his health is failing due to his current abusive living situation in the US. Is there a way I can still sponsor him to come to live with me and my family even if I do not meet the income requirement?

Asked almost 6 years ago in British Columbia
Categories: Immigration

Answer Now

Tim Bailey

Answer by Tim Bailey

VerifiedBritish Columbia lawyer

Unfortunately, Citizenship and Immigration Canada bases its assessment of a sponsorship entirely on the income of the sponsor (you) and a co-sponsor (your spouse).  Your parent could be a billionaire and CIC would still not consider your parent's financial situation.  They are very strict with the minimum qualifying income requirements, and very unlikely to make any exceptions.  As an alternative, you might consider a "supervisa" for your father:


In a supervisa application your father's ability to provide private health insurance and his ability to self-support would be considered as part of the application.

Posted almost 6 years ago

Please note that this is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice to you. Legal advice pertaining to your particular situation can only be provided by a lawyer who has met with you to obtain all pertinent background information necessary to give you a formal legal opinion. For formal legal advice, hire a lawyer (many give a free first consultation). Contact Tim Bailey, or search the Lawyer Directory.

For Lawyers:
Join the Directory
for Free!

Learn More
Immigration Tim Bailey British Columbia Lawyer Tim Bailey Verified Lawyer Immigration to Canada is a matter of careful planning. Details

Connect with us:

Family Matters with Justice Harvey Brownstone - Watch Online TV ShowWatch Online TV Show