Can a bookkeeping office withhold personal papers ?

we are having a problem with a bookkeeping office, they have not filed our 2010 or 2011 GST's and year ends. They have been paid approx 1350.00 for 2010 and are demanding more money. We have asked for proper invoices and for the return of our personal papers, but this is not beingdone. What avenues can we take ? Also is it legal to with hold our personal papers? <p>We feel that we are being held at ransom, more money or no taxes filed.</p>

Asked over 7 years ago in Alberta
Categories: Business Law

Answer Now

Katherine MacRae

Answer by Katherine MacRae

VerifiedAlberta lawyer

If the bookkeeper has a preofessional designation (chartered accountant, certified management or general accountant), you can complain to their regulatory body.  If not, your only option, other than paying the account, is to seek a Court Order for return of your paperwork.  I suspect the cost for that would be more than paying the additional invoice.
If the bookkeeper is a member of the Better Business Bureau, you can also complain to them, they do attempt to resolve disputes.

Posted over 7 years ago

Please note that this is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice to you. Legal advice pertaining to your particular situation can only be provided by a lawyer who has met with you to obtain all pertinent background information necessary to give you a formal legal opinion. For formal legal advice, hire a lawyer (many give a free first consultation). Contact Katherine MacRae, or search the Lawyer Directory.

For Lawyers:
Join the Directory
for Free!

Learn More
Family Law Robert J. Klassen British Columbia Lawyer Robert J. Klassen Verified Lawyer A divorce or separation does not have to DESTROY you ! Details

Connect with us:

Family Matters with Justice Harvey Brownstone - Watch Online TV ShowWatch Online TV Show